You can view my LinkedIn profile here, or read more about my skills and experience below.
– Innovative, commercially driven and highly influential Senior Managing Editor and Journalist with +15 years’ experience working for high profile brands (BBC, Huffington Post, The Wellcome Trust, Channel 4, Heathrow Airport) within a diverse range of sectors.
– A history of producing, editing and commissioning content for websites, brands and broadcasters with a highly creative, multi-platform approach that encompasses writing, visual story telling, podcasting, social media and video.
– Hands-on strategist and leader, providing a clear vision and direction to multidisciplinary teams through an in-depth understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a competitive and dynamic industry.
– A particular focus on food and lifestyle journalism as a presenter of BBC Food Programme, author of ‘Great British Bake Off: Another Slice’ Annual, host of delicious magazine podcasts and winner of the Guild of Food Writers Food Book of the Year Award. Also a contributor to the Financial Times’ ‘Five of the Best’ food and travel articles.
What follows are some specific examples of my experiences and responsibilities.
Leadership and budgetary control
• Most recently oversaw teams of up to 12 direct reports including section editors, picture desk and editorial video team
• Ensured that work of a high quality, and that new ideas and approaches flourished
• Ensured that any editorial spending delivered cost effective results
• Managed budgets of several hundred thousand pounds
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
• Able to work calmly under pressure
• Fluent in media ethics, legal and copyright issues
• Firm, assertive, encouraging and enabling manner
• Confident at working with all levels of an organisation
• Successfully delivered content strategies and roadmaps both in permanent and consultancy roles
• Able to clarify, strengthen and maximise the impact of content
• Ensure objectives are measurable and able to communicate that to stakeholders
Analytics and evaluation
• Led a site wide content audit and update that significantly reduced our bounce rate, improved SEO and help us better understand our traffic data.
• Worked with affiliate team on user journeys
• Familiarity with analytics tools such as Qliksense, Google Analytics
• Excellent commercial experience and understanding
• Pitched and won significant business
• Delivered branded content projects for food brands, international tourist boards and airlines
Teamwork and quality
• Able to forge positive working relationships quickly and efficiently
• A history of producing, commissioning and editing award-winning content
• Consistently high quality and an ambitious digital-first editorial vision for the future
News and social media
• Regularly produced highly topical and shareable news stories
• Have used extensive social media network and contacts to break stories
• Skilled in live news commentary and would be an active ambassador for the company
• Experience of working for several international media companies
• At Culture Trip I liaised daily with the US-based Editor-In-Chief
• Able to draw on global contacts around the world for features such as ‘Who Makes The Best Dumplings In Shanghai?’
Audio visual, editorial and audience skills
• Strong background in visual and media production
• Launched, produced, edited and presented delicious magazine’s podcast
• Produced and presented online video at several companies
• Success in using social media to increase engagement and drive traffic
• Built a stable and engaged community
• Published five books and numerous written features and articles for a variety of publishers and companies